02 03 Melody Jackson, Author: Fun With Research, Plot Twists, and NaNo! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Fun With Research, Plot Twists, and NaNo!

34
       Yup. ;)

I know this picture is meant to just be clever, but it's honestly really true. I get the most fantastic inspiration from books, movies, and TV shows, and there are times I'll specifically watch/read a certain thing to help me in my own writing. 

Actually, a lot of what watching/reading stories while writing my own does is challenges me to think about it differently. I'll see a brilliant character or plot twist and wonder how my own story can benefit from it. Can I use that example to strengthen my character? Or has watching this plot twist in action showed me how it can work in my own story? 

And of course, this connects and applies to what I'm doing with my writing right now, which is really interesting! As you may remember, my current WIP (That's 'Work-In-Progress) is Dragons' Bane. It still is, obviously, but it's undergone quite a few changes since, then, big changes.

Because Dragons' Bane is about to become Dragons' Bane AND Dragons' Might.

Confused? Well, I've got a rather thick and long plot stirring and brewing for this new adventure, and it's getting to be a bit much. With The Dragon Within I had to limit myself quite a bit so I didn't overload the book. But this time, I've simply decided to split the book in two! And it's something I'm very excited for, because I feel like now I can be free to really show you the story and not have to cut corners to avoid a whopping and overwhelming book.

 If anything, Dragons' Bane and Dragons' Might might (haha) end up being a little thinner than The Dragon Within because of the split content, but we'll see. I already have some ideas for cover ideas that will compliment each other too, so I'm very excited to start drawing up/planning some cover sketches! They might even be those cool type of books that put side by side blend beautifully into one picture! (if I can pull that off)

Meanwhile, I've got a title for Treya's story now, which is also coming along beautifully. Ready for it?

(drumroll, please)

The title of Treya's short story is....

The Burden of Wings

What do you think? If you haven't read The Dragon Within or know anything about Treya, the title probably doesn't make much sense to you. But still, I'm hoping it at least intrigues you. 

Here's a semi-related question: ever heard of NaNoWriMo? Well, if you haven't, it stands for National Novel Writing Month. Basically, NaNoWriMo goes through the whole month of November and is dedicated to helping writers write out (not edit though, just write) a 50,000 word story(or 50,000 words of their story) through all of November. I'm not sure of all the details because I haven't done it before, but you can check out the link here for more information.

And now I'm pretty sure you know what I'm going to say next. ;) That's right, I'm going to try NaNoWriMo this year! (yay) It works out perfectly because I am just about ready to really start on Dragons' Bane soon. 

Actually, my ideal plan is (if everything goes smoothly) to have Treya's story written and maybe, hopefully finished by November, when I will start a 50,000 word marathon of Dragons' Bane for a month before going back and finishing up Treya's story to have it done in time for Christmas. :)

Of course, things happen and life throws curveballs all the time, so I can't guarantee any of this will happen like I plan. But I'm setting a goal and aiming for it, and hopefully I will be able to accomplish it. :)

Well, that's about all I have to say. I'm going to go work on The Burden of Wings now. While I am gone, please enjoy this little acronym I came up from WRITE for writers:

WRITE a lot
READ a lot more
IMAGINE the possibilities
TAKE breaks
ENJOY what you do.

-Melody





Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38