02 03 Melody Jackson, Author: What Makes A Great Character? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

What Makes A Great Character?

34
Character, conviction, determination, ambition, motivation, drive, confidence, passion, love, support, show





We all have those characters. The ones that we can never forget, the ones that charm or captivate us so deeply we hang rapt on their every word, our pulse rising and falling as they race through their stories. We rejoice in their victories and feel heartbroken at their defeats, and then, once they have made their final bow, we find ourselves with a sense of loss, often going back into their worlds for the feeling of being with them again. We never truly forget them.

I didn't say any names, but they came to mind, didn't they?

Throughout the years, I've read and watched many characters come and go in my favorite stories. There have been many I've liked, but only a special few that I've truly loved. In an effort to produce such a wonderfully captivating character in my own book, I started going through that list, trying to find just what I loved about each character so much.

But with each one, I just kind of found myself smiling and saying, "I don't know. I just...I love them." :) And then I realized why.

Why do we fall in love with people? On the surface, you may be able to give me some lists and reasons to explain it. But there's a certain amount of mystery to it, isn't there, something that you just know but can't necessarily explain. For me, it's the same with characters. There's a magic about it that you can't explain, but you just know, you know?

At the moment, I'm working on Dragons' Bane. And to my favorite character list, which I am about to show below, I was going to put the name of a character from Dragons' Bane, because he just has that magical quality that has made him my favorite character to write and probably the one I've felt the most deeply about. It's...wow. I've gotten seriously emotional while learning his backstory and what's to happen to him in Dragons' Bane--it's intense.

But then I realized, since no one else knows him, putting him on the list won't mean anything right now. So just know he's on my favorite character list, and you'll get to meet him in Dragons' Bane and hopefully fall as deeply in love with him as I have. :)

Anyway, enough dilly dallying! Let's get on to the list of my favorite characters. (This list includes literature, movies, and TV shows)

1. Vala Mal Doran and Daniel Jackson from Stargate Sg1. (Not a couple, by the way ;)

Ahhhh these two!!! :D (Not necessarily as a couple though, haha) I don't know what it is, but they are most DEFINITELY my fav characters from the show. :D Why are they so amazing????

Ohhhh my gosh, these two! I just...I don't know what to say. I can't believe Vala wasn't in more of the show, and Daniel, well, I just loved him more and more with every season. :)

2. Some (Most ;) of the Doctor Who cast
A picture that will NEVER be taken again! The 10th Doctor and his companions..  L to R: Sarah Jane, Micky Smith, Jackie Tyler, Rose Tyler, The 10th Doctor, Martha Jones, Donna Nobel and Captain Jack Harkness

Doctor Who

The Doctor may just be the best fictional character of all times. (Scratch that; he IS. ;) Oh. My. Gosh. Let's just say, if you haven't seen Doctor Who, you should totally go watch it right now and fall in love with it. Seriously. I love most of the cast (there's always disliked characters, right?) but there are a few who are my absolute favorites. (okay, more than a few ;) And they are: The Doctor(Ten and Eleven especially!!!!) Rose Tyler, Donna Noble,  and Rory Williams (RORY!!) Wow. Rose is bold, Donna is sassy, Rory's an absolute hero (especially as a Roman!) and the Doctor, well, he's all that and much more! :)

3. Carlton Lassiter from Psych

Timothy Omundson as Carlton Lassiter in the TV show, "Psych."

Again, the entire Psych cast is hilarious and awesome, but Lassie takes the cake, haha. Slightly psychotic cop who acts like a kid with a toy gun? Weird, yes, but oh so funny. And he's got a real soft side too. :)

4. Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus cast.

The whole Percy Jackson cast!  bottom row, left to right: Nico di Angelo, Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Thalia Grace  second row up: Connor Stoll, Grover, Juniper, Katie Gardner, Clarisse, Rachel Dare  third row: Travis Stoll, Michael Yew, Tyson  fourth row: Will Solace, Pollux, Jake Mason

Again, I love almost all of the cast, even the not-so-nice characters. I could go on but...you should really just read the books. Riordan is a storytelling genius. :)

And finally, 5. Merlin from Merlin.

BBC Merlin

Admittedly, most of the characters in this show are quite one-sided and cliche, but not Merlin. He's a servant to Arthur but also can use magic, which happens to be outlawed in Camelot. He saves everyone's lives every day while making snarky comments behind Arthur's back and never gets any praise. Ever. But he's awesome. :)

Of course, this couldn't possibly cover all my favorite characters from everything, ever, but these are the ones who really impacted me, the ones who if I see anything about them, fanart or fanfiction or anything of them, I get so excited about it. :)

One last interesting thing before I end this. After going back through this list again, I realized I love some of these characters so much more when they're paired up with someone else (not necessarily romantically either), like Vala/Daniel and Percy/Annabeth. They're all wonderful on their own, but together, they're even better. :)

Soooo, I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below and tell me who some of your favorite characters are (Maybe we have some mutual ones!) and if you have any idea why you love them or if you just do.

Have a wonderful day!

-Melody

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38